The Manchester Branch was set up in November 1904 at the University of Manchester with a total of 178 members. Archaeological excavation was a major interest of the new Branch and the Branch’s Excavation Committee produced a series of reports on the excavations at Melandra Castle, Manchester and Ribchester. For the Manchester Branch to have been so involved in archaeology a century ago seems to indicate a remarkable far-sightedness for its time.
Although we are no longer involved in archaeology, all the other features of our Branch, listed below, are in the tradition of our predecessors:
- Branch meetings are held six times a year and take the form of lectures with visiting speakers.
- We join the speaker for a drink after the lecture and those who wish to go out to share with them the delights of some good wine and the huge variety of cuisines available in Manchester.
- A day excursion is held every June, its ‘modern phase’ beginning in 1979. The aim continues to be that of exploring on foot Roman sites within a day’s return travel from Manchester. We use members’ cars, and enjoy a ‘bar meal’ together at the end of the day.
- We continue to offer services to schools in the form of our schools programme.